Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 10 - Beverly Hills, CA

Day 10

BEVERLY HILLS. Just conjures up images doesn't it?  So, Guilford treks to Beverly HIlls excited to meet an unknown classmate, Mary Thompson '81.  She picked a great and easy to find spot, La Provence Bakery.  That morning, I found Mary on Facebook and much to my surprise we had only one friend in common.  But, not just any friend, it was noneother than Sam Morton '81.  Yep, Sam seems to be in 99% of my conversations with classmates (mmmm....makes you think!).  No, Sam is fantastic and yes, memorable.  I called him immediately to say I was about to meet Mary.  Mary and Sam are lifelong friends from Southern Pines, NC.  Did I say "small world" yet today?  

Now is the point in the writing where I don't know how to make anyone reading this believe that I'm telling the truth, and where I don't know how to sound less than effervescent.  So, just accept my apologies now, and trust me, it's all true.

Mary, Julia and I talked for 2 1/2 hours non stop, joined by the very kind, friendly and thoughtful Patrick Holder '87 about midway through.  (I loved being in Beverly Hills eating outside and having a nice looking young man walk by, recognize and give a big hug - felt like my very own neighborhood for a minute).  Mary has lived in LA for years.  She moved out here shortly after Guilford to follow her sister and to find out more about her interests and what she wanted to pursue.  After no background, no classes, no interest really in acting, she got into acting!  This had led Mary to writing and producing, as well as acting and being part of an acting school in the area.  You know what I'm going to say now...that her Guilford liberal arts focus and experience allowed her to make these choices and pursue this career even though she didn't "formally" study this as an undergraduate.  Well, I'd say Mary agrees!  Interestingly enough, Patrick has had a similar experience in that he studied art at Guilford, and did absolutely no theater studies or acting either, and now he has been acting in NYC and now LA.  

I was struck by Mary's and Patrick's discussion about their personal career choices.  Patrick talked in detail about his reasoning behind moving from his design career, where the opportunities to be creative lessened as he moved up and into more of the managerial roles, to acting where he wanted to explore his creativity and wanted to follow his own intuitions and instincts more.  We talked about a theme with Guilford graduates of making tough choices that sometimes means pursuing less financially lucrative positions in exchange for ethical integrity - choices that lead back to Guilford's core values and Quaker testimonies.   Not the typical conversation you think you'd have with two LA actors maybe unless you knew from whence they came!

Another rewarding part of these alumni visits is making connections between Guilfordians.  I was glad that Mary and Patrick had a chance to meet and share contact info.  It seems like a great connection.  I am thankful beyond words for their insights into the value of their Guilford experiences and for their sharing some of the ways that continues to shape their lives.  I am also very grateful for their requests to be involved and supportive of Guilford, from enrollment support, to student support to financial support.  I am richer today for having spent this time with two great Guilfordians and look forward to what's ahead!  


No comments:

Post a Comment